At St John's, there is nothing that we love more than reading for pleasure.
We have a wonderful library that the children enjoy spending time in. They have a wide range of books to capture their attention and their imagination.
In the infants, we work hard to start our children's journey into reading for pleasure reading as quickly as we can.
After our Speed Sound lessons during Phonics, we move onto a reading book with the same focus of the sound that we have just learnt. During our guided reading sessions, the children will read their book 3 times in school before taking it home to share with their family.
We follow a structure over 3 days to complete the following:
- Speed sounds- to practise reading the sounds in the story.
- Story green words- to practice reading the story green words and lean the meaning of the new words.
- Story green words- vocabulary check- common words with common graphemes included frequently in books
- Red words- to read common words with a low-frequency grapheme
- Partner practise- to help our partners read the sounds, story green words and red words.
- Story introduction- to find out what is going to happen in the story
- First read- Children are to read every word with their partner, correctly.
- Teacher read aloud- to enjoy listening to the whole story.
- Partner practice- to help our partners read the Speedy Green words and Red words without using Fred Talk.
- Second Read- to read the story more speedily without using Fred Talk.
- Think about the story.
- Third Read- to read in storyteller's voice. Children will read the story with intonation that shows their understanding of the story.
Children should be confident with their storybook when they take it home to read in a storyteller's voice to their family.